I do software Product Management, informed by past experience as a technical, professional services and market research consultant.
My resume is divided across these disciplines. I think it gives me an advantage because agile PM demands versatility. The job boils down to...
- Understanding customer and market problems.
- Designing features to solve them.
- Working with engineers to build the product.
- Delivering it to market, getting feedback, improving it.
A PM needs research skills to do #1 and #4 well. For #2, it helps to know services methods (discovery, solutioning). And a technical background is a strong asset if #3 involves data-driven features.
The applications I've worked with for profit and fun include:
- SQL: MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL
- Linux server administration: Debian/Ubuntu, LAMP/LEMP stacks, KVM/LXC, SSH/Rsync
- Programming languages: Python, Bash shell
- Development tools: Git, Visual Studio Code
- Business software: JIRA, Salesforce, Aha, Asana, Trello, Google Docs, Microsoft Office
- Hobbyist projects: data science, virtualization & containers, video/audio transcoding
You can reach me on LinkedIn.